Added to 218 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 138235 times
rice appe recipe | healthy South Indian rice appe | paddu | with 28 amazing images.
rice appe is a famous South Indian breakfast dish made with raw rice and urad dal. A well-proportioned batter of raw rice and urad dal is fermented, tempered and cooked in an appe mould, to get dainty, fluffy and flavour-packed rice appe.
Easy to make, but a bit more exotic than idlis and dosas, the rice appe is popular in South India as an evening snack , served with sambhar and a coconut chutney, and accompanied by a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Notes on rice appe recipe. 1. To make rice appe recipe | paniyaram | South Indian rice appe | in a deep bowl, add the raw rice. Make sure you wash it well under running water well to remove all the dirt. 2. Keep aside the batter to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours. If the weather is cold it might take a little longer. 3. Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil. Grease it with a brush as it gets greased well and evenly which is very important. 4. Cook using 1 tsp of oil till the lower surface of rice appe becomes golden brown. Always cook on a medium flame or else rice appe will not cook well and may also get burnt.
See why this is also called a healthy South Indian rice appe? rice appe is a perfect combination of urad dal and raw rice which make it a complete protein. A cereal pulse combo like in the case of rice appe ( raw rice and urad dal) would serve as a complete protein comprising of all the 9 essential amino acids. Diabetics need to eat rice appe in restricted amount as the carb content is high.
Make sure you serve healthy South Indian rice appe immediately to enjoy the nice crispness. Once rice appe cools, the crisp outer tends to harden and get a bit chewy.
Enjoy how to make rice appe recipe | healthy South Indian rice appe | paddu | with step by step photos and video below.
- To make rice appe, combine the raw rice and urad dal and enough lukewarm water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 2 hours. Drain well and keep aside.
- Blend in a mixer using approx. ½ cup of water till smooth. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- After fermention, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onions, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Heat an appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using a little oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
- Cook, using a little oil, till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side using a little oil.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more appes.
- Serve the rice appe immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Rice Appe recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per appe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.