by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 862 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18575 times
Kerala is famous for appam. This recipe makes a difficult dish easy to cook.
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
- Grate the coconut, add 2 cups of water and extract the coconut milk. Strain.
- Grind the raw rice and cooked rice in a little coconut milk. Remove from the grinder and add the sugar, the remaining coconut milk and salt.
- Mix the yeast with a little warm water, add to the rice paste and mix well. The batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Cover and keep for 2 to 3 hours. Then add the spinach puree.
- Heat an appam kadai or a deep non-stick tava and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour 1 big spoon of the batter into it. Slowly rotate the batter on the tava so that a thin layer forms on the side while the middle remains thick.
- Cover and cook for 1 minute. The middle part will be fluffy.
- Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with vegetable stew.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||584.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||16.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.