by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 29 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18318 times
Quick Idiyappam is a safe, easily-digestible, steamed food that south Indians, especially Keralites, love to have for breakfast and dinner. A dough of rice flour is pressed out of a chakli press in the form of thin noodles, and steamed, to get a soft and tasty food, which combines fabulously with Potato Stew, Kadala Curry or Vegetable Kurma. While the traditional method involves semi-cooking the dough before pressing it out, this Quick Idiyappam just involves making the dough with rice flour and warm water. Easy though it is, it tastes equally good when served immediately.
- Combine the rice flour and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using approx. 1 cup of warm water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a cylindrical roll. Fill the dough into the “sev press”
- Press out little thin strands into 4 greased idli moulds.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of coconut into each idli mould and again press out a little mixture again.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 minutes.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 to make 4 more idiyappams.
- Serve immediately with potato stew.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idiyappam
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.