Medu Vada ( South Indian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 260 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 956273 times
Most South Indians consider breakfast incomplete without Medu Vada. Whether they have idli, dosa, pongal or upma, they like to add a crispy, tasty and protein-rich urad dal vada to the platter. In fact, when you have breakfast in a South Indian restaurant, even in the remote villages, you will be fascinated to see the waiter reel out the list of breakfast combos, almost all of them featuring vada! Serving them fresh with sambhar and coconut chutney however is doubly delightful.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for atleast 2 hours.
- Drain, add the green chillies, pepper, curry leaves and ginger and blend in a mixer to a smooth batter, adding little water.
- Add the salt and mix well and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Wet your hand.
- Take a portion of the mixture in your hand.
- Make a hole in the centre with your thumb.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, upturn your hand and drop the wada in oil.
- Deep fry the wada till both sides turn golden brown in colour.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 7 more medu wadas.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney and sambhar.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per medu vada
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.