Chana Dal Aur Gur Chawal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 94 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32113 times
Chana Dal aur Gur Chawal is a sumptuous combination of spicy chana dal served with aromatic jaggery-sweetened rice. The gur chawal imbibes the flavour and aroma of fennel and cardamom beautifully, in such a way that it kindles ones appetite. It is such a lip-smacking meal you are sure to over-eat, but worry not – an assortment of ingredients like hing, saunf and black salt will aid digestion.
- Combine the soaked and drained chana dal, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked chana dal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, black salt and lemon juice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the fennel seeds, cardamom and rice and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add 1½ cups of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice is completely cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the jaggery and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Just before serving, reheat the chana dal and gur chawal and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||257.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||4.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||42.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.