8 Uses of Coconut Oil
uses of coconut oil in Indian cooking. Coconut oil is the oil that is removed from coconuts. It contains 90% saturated fat and was once considered unhealthy due to this. But recently it is being used more and more in cooking as it has a neutral effect on the heart as opposed to other saturated fats.
1. Coconut oil is used for many purposes as it very good for hair and skin but recently it is being used in cooking. Coconut oil does not result in oxidation at high temperatures and hence is very useful for frying as it has a high smoking point.
2. Food in the southern states of India and in coastal regions is fondly cooked in coconut oil. From different curries and rice dishes to even chutneys and tempering, all of this is preferred to be done with coconut oil instead of other vegetable oils, especially in Kerala. A few south Indian dishes that are made with coconut oil are Bhindi Mappas, Bisi Bele Bhaat and Avial.
3. Appams and Rava Dosas can also be cooked using coconut oil to give a nice, nutty flavor.
4. Since it can tolerate high temperatures, it is very good for baking. Coconut oil can be used as a 1:1 substitute for butter for baked goods. Even when a recipe requires solid butter, you can use solid coconut oil instead for a dairy free option like for pie crusts.
5. Coconut oil provides an irresistible aroma to nuts and oats when used to make Homemade Granola mix or granola bars. A few amazing recipes like this are the Mixed Nut and Berries Granola and a Healthy Granola Mix.
6. This oil imparts a very unique flavor to any dish. One can use it for stir-frying or sautéing different types of vegetables.
7. Add a couple of tablespoons of to the grinder while making nut butters to get a rich, creamy, delicious spread.
8. Use coconut oil to make coconut creamer which can be used for hot coffees and even other beverages. This option can be used by those who don’t want to use a dairy creamer.
To know about Recipes using Coconut oil, check out our collection.