Coconut Chutney ( Desi Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Coconut Chutney ( Desi Khana) in Gujarati)
Added to 348 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 174149 times
Coconut chutney is to south indians what green and sweet chutneys are to the north. It is served almost every day as a part of the breakfast spread, and sometimes at lunch and dinner times too, if there is any kind of snack being served. It goes well with fried snacks like vada, as well as with steamed delicacies like idli, dosa and upma.
- Combine the coconut, coriander, roasted chana dal, green chillies, 4 curry leaves, salt and a little water and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the chutney into a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, remaining 4 curry leaves and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds
- Pour this tempering over the coconut chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
Coconut Chutney Video by Tarla Dalal
Coconut Chutney ( Desi Khana) recipe with step by step photos
- In a mixer jar, add the grated coconut. You can use fresh or frozen coconut. Many people prefer using the white meat of the coconut and remove the outer brown skin. That totally depends upon you.
- For a green version of coconut chutney, we will add a handful of coriander.
- Now add 3 tbsp of roasted chana dal. You can use roasted peanuts instead of chana dal.
- Add roughly chopped green chillies. Increase or decrease the amount of chilies to make a hotter or milder chutney.
- Add 4 curry leaves. Kadi Patta provides a unique flavour to the coconut chutney. You can even add onion, garlic or ginger to enhance the flavour of this chutney.
- Add salt to taste.
- Using around 3/4 cup of water blend the green coconut chutney.
- After grinding to a fine paste, it will look like this!
- Transfer the chutney into a bowl.
- For the tadka of coconut chutney, heat oil in a non-stick tadka pan. Make use of any neutral flavoured oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add urad dal and a pinch of asafoetida.
- When the urad dal turns light brown in colour, add the remaining 4 curry leaves.
- Finally, add broken pieces of Kashmiri red chilli. Sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Mix well and pour this tempering over the coconut chutney.
- Mix well and coconut chutney, a perfect side dish for South Indian breakfast is ready!
- Refrigerate and use as required. It is best to consume it fresh.
- Enjoy the South-Indian coconut chutney with South-Indian tiffin snacks like uttapam, idli, dosa and vada. The coconut chutney also tastes amazing with upma and pongal.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.