Bhindi Mappas, Bhindi in Coconut Gravy, Kerala Vendakka Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Bhindi Mappas, Bhindi in Coconut Gravy, Kerala Vendakka Recipe in Hindi)
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 98597 times
An evergreen favourite of the Syrian Christians in Kerala, Bhindi Mappas features sautéed bhindi in aromatic coconut milk gravy.
Although the bhindi does take some time to cook, this recipe is otherwise quite easy as it makes use of everyday ingredients and simple cooking methods.
An assortment of pungent ingredients like ginger, garlic, curry leaves, etc., perk up the coconut milk, turning it from a mellow ingredient into a mouth-watering gravy for the ladies finger. Serve with plain rice .
You can also try other Kerala style variants of bhindi like Dahi Bhindi or Bhindi Onion Stir Fry .
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the ladies finger and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour, while stirring occasionally. Transfer into another bowl and keep aside.
- In the same kadhai, add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, ladies finger and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||144.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||13.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||98.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.