by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 31 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39602 times
The king of vegetables served in a new avatar! the succulent brinjal or eggplant is pressure-cooked in a unique blend of spices and rice. This rice is a complete meal by itself and a wonderful treat for brinjal lovers. Dig-in!
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the tamarind with ¼ cup of water in a bowl and mix very well. Keep aside.
- Combine the roasted sesame seeds and peanuts in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the chana dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, rice, brinjals, turmeric powder, spice powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 ¼ cups of hot water and tamarind-water mixture, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the peanut-sesame powder and grated coconut to the rice and mix gently with a fork.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||119 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||3.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||5.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||33.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.