by Tarla Dalal
Added to 57 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49443 times
Of all the pulao prepared in the Punjab this is perhaps one that is most commonly served. It looks good, tastes good and does not require much time or effort to prepare. During winter in Punjab, ripe red and juicy carrots are in profusion and all sorts of dishes are prepared with them. Choose bright red carrots for this dish, which will impart a lovely red colour to the pulao. The subtle blend of Punjabi spices such as saunf, elaichi and dalchini are a treat for your taste buds. Serve this pulao steaming hot with fresh curds.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, cardamoms, fennel seeds and onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the rice, carrots and salt and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||474.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.