Moong Sprouts, Tomato and Spinach Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 103 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70263 times
An all-time favourite with South Indians, Tomato Rice is a spicy and tangy rice preparation that is ideal to pack in lunch boxes! An exciting modification of the traditional recipe, the Moong Sprouts, Tomato and Spinach Rice is made with minimal oil to prevent excess fats. Brown rice, moong sprouts and spinach are all fibre-rich ingredients that make you feel full soon, thereby aiding in weight loss. Have this one-dish meal in the suggested serving size along with low-fat curds to stay within the calorie limit occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes or till they release flavour.
- Cool slightly, blend in a mixer to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Combine the fresh tomato pulp and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the prepared masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies and onions, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the moong sprouts and spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked tomato pulp, brown rice and salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.