Avial ( South Indian Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Avial ( South Indian Recipes) in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Avial ( South Indian Recipes) in Gujarati)
Added to 74 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 183288 times
Avial is a dish that originated in kerala, but gained an equal fanfare in tamilnadu as well. Rare is the wedding or festive menu that does not include avial! the key to making excellent avial is to pay equal attention to the visual appeal – vegetables with contrasting colours such as carrot, beans, pumpkin etc are chosen, sliced evenly into thin 1 inch long pieces, and cooked to a crunchy consistency. If you’ve done this, you’ve crossed half the bridge successfully!
- Combine the drumsticks with ¼ cup of water and cover and cook on a medium flame till they are half done.
- Add the remaining vegetables, water if required and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame till the vegetables are tender (approx. 12 to 15 minutes).
- Add the prepared paste and ¼ cup of water, mix well and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or till it becomes semi-dry. Remove off the flame.
- Add the curds, oil, cumin seeds and curry leaves and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Avial , Traditional South Indian Vegetable Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||244.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||24.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||16.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.