Avial, South Indian Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 60 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 68282 times
This mouth-watering South Indian curry is nothing short of a delicacy with its unusual combination of veggies, flavoured aesthetically with a mildly-spiced coconut paste.
Do not chop the veggies too finely when making Avial, because the veggies should retain their shape and vibrant colour after cooking. This makes the Avial look very appetizing!
Pleasing to the palate, with the mellow flavour of coconut and fresh curds, Avial can be enjoyed with Jowar Pyaz ki Roti instead of the plain wheat flour rotis .
- Combine all the ingredients and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the drumsticks and ¾ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add all the remaining vegetables, salt and ½ cup of water and mix gently. Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste, curry leaves and ¼ cup of water, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curds and coconut oil and mix gently.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.