7 Uses of Cucumber
1. Cucumber is a vegetable that is usually eaten raw. Raw cucumber can be eaten as is or by adding it to a variety of salads with different types of ingredients. A few salads made with cucumber are Avocado, Broccoli, Bell pepper Salad and a Creamy Green Salad.
2. It is an important ingredient of the most famous Mumbai street food – The vegetable grilled sandwich. Chopped bits of cucumber are also added to other street foods like chaats for freshness. Slices of cucumber are also added to many types of sandwiches, bagels and burgers.
3. The pulpy inside of the cucumber is what helps us keep cool in the summer as it is mostly consists of water. The saying "cool as a cucumber" is actually a true one and that’s why many people add cucumber to juices and shakes during the warm summer months. Some juices made with cucumber are Pineapple and Cucumber juice and Minty cucumber Cooler.
4. Cucumbers are also eaten in a pickled form around the world, especially in South-east Asia.
5. A new way of using cucumber is to use it to make pancakes. This is the simplest and most tasty way of utilizing leftover cucumber. You can mix it with a little rice flour and spinach and make delicious Cucumber Pancakes.
6. Every Indian meal is accompanied with a small side dish, whether a raita or a salads. Indian salad usually equals to a mix of onion, tomato and cucumber called Kachumber that is flavored with lemon juice. Raita is combination of whisked curd with fresh fruits and vegetables, one of the most famous being a Cucumber Raita.
7. For refreshing cold gazpacho type soup that takes five minutes or less to make, simply purée cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Check out our extensive collection of Recipes using Cucumber.