Chinese Bhel, Mumbai Roadside Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 352 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 342494 times
What happens when peppy Chinese flavours fuse with the all-time favourite bhel format? Well, you get the best of both worlds, so enjoy!
Chinese Bhel is a very popular roadside snack in Mumbai. It is made of fried noodles, perked up with crunchy veggies like cabbage and spring onions and splashes of tongue-tickling Oriental sauces.
The fried noodles is available readymade, or can be made at home. Once you have that ready, the rest is just chop and toss as this snack requires no cooking. Even kids can make it themselves and enjoy, with reduced spice levels.
You can also try your hand at making other Mumbai roadside recipes like Mysore Masala Dosa or Roadside Hare Chane Ki Chaat .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and toss well.
- Serve immediately garnished with spring onion greens.
Chinese Bhel, Indian Street Food Video by Tarla Dalal
Chinese Bhel, Mumbai Roadside Snack recipe with step by step photos
- We would require fried noodles. While they are readily available in market, you can try making them at home using our Chinese Fried Noodles recipe.
- The Crispy Fried Noodles recipe is not only easy to make, but can be made in bulk and stored in air-tight container and served with Indo-chinese delights like Manchow soup, Triple Schezuan rice and American chopsuey.
- This fusion recipe is an outburst of flavours due to the addition of various sauces like schezuan sauce, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and vinegar. Substitute to them are sriracha, green chilli sauce, tamarind chutney or sweet chilli sauce.
- Refer recipes for homemade schezuan sauce and tomato ketchup to make them time ahead and store in your fridge for future use.
- While we have just added shredded cabbage and chopped spring onions, you can toss in other crunchy vegetables like capsicum, carrots, boiled corn, red cabbage etc.
- In this recipe, we have simply mixed together all the ingredients but, if you don’t like the flavour or not prefer eating it this way, then try our another recipe for Chinese Bhel were we have sautéed the vegetables.
- In a deep bowl, take fried noodles.
- Now add shredded cabbage to it. You can shred it in a food processor or using a sharp knife. Cabbage adds a unique crunch to the bhel.
- Now add the chopped spring onions whites and greens. You can also slice them.
- Then add schezuan sauce.
- Add red chilli sauce. In case it is not available add one of the substitutes mentioned above.
- Then add the tomato ketchup. It provides the much needed tangy flavor.
- Finally add soy sauce, vinegar and salt to taste. Toss well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve immediately before it turns soggy. Ensure you have all the ingredients ready and mix just before serving.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.