Last Updated : Oct 05,2017
Viewed 43862 times
Everyone loves noodles! Noodles fit into today's busy lifestyle because they cook in 5 to 8 minutes. A noodle is made from unleavened dough that has been shaped into thin flat strips or round cylinders and cooked in a boiling liquid. Depending upon the type, noodles may be dried or refrigerated before cooking.
Boiled Noodles is prepared by cooking raw noodles in boiling water with a pinch of salt and a tsp of oil added to it. Noodles are boiled for 3-5 minutes, depending on their type and thickness, till they are cooked well. They are then drained and washed with cold water to prevent overcooking of noodles with the steam. The boiled noodles may then be used in a variety of recipes.
They are commonly associated with Chinese cuisine. Deep fried noodles are served as a accompaniment with soups or used as a base in chopsuey recipes. To deep fry noodles, spread boiled noodles uniformly in hot oil and fry till crisp and golden brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper to discard off excess oil.
How to Select
Choose from the varieties available in the market. It is easily available in small as well as large packets, buy as desired. Also, they are made of different ingredients. Hence, make certain to read the label and then purchase. Read well the dates stamped - manufacturing as well as expiry.
· Cooking noodles in plenty of water helps ensure perfect noodles every time. Use an 8-quart pot to heat 4 to 6 quarts of water. There's no need to add oil; if plenty of water is used, noodles won't stick together. It's best to add salt to noodles cooking water shortly before it comes to a boil. Salt adds flavor and ensures firm (not sticky) noodles.
· Basic boiled noodles: These are cooked in water or broth, and then drained. It can be cooked plain and relished with chilli sauce or tomato garlic sauce. Also, boiled veggies add a great taste to it. Since, noodles are soft and absorb flavors; you can add the spice of your choice -Soya sauce, garlic, oregano, onion paste etc.
· Chilled noodles: Noodles are very often these days served in a salad. Combine it with different vegetables and top it with your favourite sauce - Spicy or Sweet. Mayonnaise is also a good option in combination with mixed herbs.
· Noodle soup: Noodles served in broth. Everyone loves noodles in homemade soup. If cooking noodles in broth be sure to start with an extra amount of broth, since uncooked noodles will absorb liquid and make a thicker soup. Most noodles absorb about 25% of the liquid in which they cook. Soup makes a great leftover, but noodles continue to absorb broth as they stand.
· Noodle Patties, is one of the innovative and tasty recipie to surprise your guests.
· Noodles steamed can be relished simply, with butter and spiced with pepper or oregano or mixed herbs.
How to Store
To store noodles keep in a cool dry place in an airtight container. Use noodles before the expiry date gets over. If any left over, keep it in a bowl covered. Use it within a day or so.
· Noodles are made out of refined flour, have nothing but carbohydrates. Hence, have not much nutrition. You can enhance its nutritional value, by adding enough vegetables like onion, carrot, cabbage, beans, peas, etc.
· In simple words, it is fine to eat noodles that are cooked with minimum amount of oil and have enough vegetables so that they make a good balanced food.
· Noodles, these days are made of wheat flour, which is a better option than refined flour.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.