by Tarla Dalal
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (American Chopsuey in Gujarati)
Added to 150 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 175382 times
American chopsuey recipe | veg American chopsuey | veg Chinese chopsuey recipe | with 30 amazing images.
American chopsuey represents the mix of Western and Oriental cuisines. American chopsuey is essentially sautéed veggies flavoured with sauces and thickened with corn flour. When served atop crisp-fried Hakka noodles, it makes a truly sumptuous treat that is both filling and tasty!
When served with fried noodles, American chopsuey is often considered an overseas adaptation of the popular Chinese dish, Chow Mein.
I would like to share some important tips to make the perfect American chopsuey recipe. 1. Deep-fry hakka noodles till it turns crispy and golden brown in colour from both the sides on a medium flame. If you fry noodles on a low flame then they will absorb more oil and if you fry them on high flame then they will turn brown immediately but not turn crispy. 2. Basically, you can add any vegetables of your choice to veg American chopsuey like broccoli, mushroom, purple cabbage and zucchini. 3. We have added sugar to the American chopsuey to get the sweet and sour taste. 4. If you are serving American chop suey hours after preparing then adjust the consistency of chopsuey sauce before serving by reheating and adding little water if required.
Serve veg Chinese chopsuey recipe as a one-dish meal.
Learn to make American chopsuey recipe | veg American chopsuey | veg Chinese chopsuey recipe | with step by step photos and video below.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add 2 cups of hakka noodles and spread it evenly to form a layer and deep-fry till it turns crispy and golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat step 1 to deep-fry the remaining noodles. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour with 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the capsicum, carrot and cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled hakka noodles and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture, vinegar, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the sauce thickens, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide it into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Just before serving, place one portion of the crispy noodles on a serving dish and top it with one portion of the chopsuey evenly over it.
- Repeat step 1 to make 1 more plate.
- Serve immediately.
American Chop Suey Video by Tarla Dalal
American Chopsuey recipe with step by step photos
You can make the crispy noodles in advance and store them in an air-tight container.
Using the fried noodles, you can make another popular Indo-Chinese roadside recipe Chinese bhel.
You can add an assortment of exotic vegetables like broccoli, pakchoy, baby corn, red cabbage to make this more colorful and flavorful.
Also, you can make use of favorite sauces like sriracha, soy sauce, schezuan sauce to make this dish more tasty.
First we have to parboil the noodles i.e. to cook them 70 to 80 %. If the noodles are completely cooked they will be soggy and sticky while deep-frying. So cook them al dente i.e. firm to bite. For this boil enough water in a deep broad pan.
Add a pinch of salt.
Also add a little oil.
Add the noodles and let them boil till they are 70-80% cooked.
Drain and rinse with cold water to avoid further cooking. Before you deep-fry the noodles see that they are well drained and dry.
Now heat oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add 2 cups of hakka noodles and spread it evenly to form a layer and deep-fry.
Once the bottom layer is golden brown turn over the noodles and fry them on the other side, so that they are golden brown from both the sides and also crisp.
Drain on an absorbent paper. Similarly make one more batch of fried noodles.
Combine the cornflour with 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the sliced onions.
Sauté the onions on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Then add capsicum.
Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the boiled hakka noodles and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
Add the tomato ketchup.
Add chilli sauce. The addition of different sauces gives it a sweet, tangy, spicy flavour.
Mix well and cook for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
Now add the cornflour-water mixture.
Mix well and add the vinegar.
Add sugar and salt to taste.
Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the sauce thickens, while stirring occasionally.
Place one portion of the crispy noodles on a serving dish.
Top it with one portion of the chopsuey evenly over it.
Serve immediately. Enjoy the American chop suey before it gets soggy.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.