Veg Frankie, Mumbai Roadside Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 418 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1415025 times
The Veg Frankie of Mumbai is now so famous that you can find Frankie stalls all over the country – in parks and beaches, on the street and in food courts.
A satiating snack that can be relished even on-the-go, the Veg Frankie is made by rolling up a tongue-tickling potato mixture inside roti wraps.
It is one of Mumbai’s most famous roadside snacks and its a very appetising experience to watch the Frankie-wala deftly preparing one.
The rotis are made beforehand, but cooked again with butter before making the Frankie. It’s not just the masaledar potato mixture that makes the Frankie so tasty but also the crunch of onions and the tangy masala water that’s sprinkled on it.
Every single ingredient – from the butter-cooked rotis to the tangy water, the crunchy onions and zesty Frankie masala – contributes to the flavour of the Veg Frankie.
Follow this authentic recipe to recreate the magic in your own kitchen. There are many more variants of this versatile and handy snack, including Jain, Schezwan and Cheesy versions.
Try other famous roadside treats like the Vada Pav or Schezuan Chopsuey Dosa.
- Combine plain flour, whole wheat flour, 1¼ tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft and pliable dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead again using remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out each into approx 200 mm. (8") diameter thin circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle) and cook each roti lightly on both side on a medium flame for 1 minute and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder, garam masala, chaat masala, coriander and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Place a roti on the tava (griddle) and cook on a medium flame using ½ tsp butter for 1 minute or till both sides turn light brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Heat ½ tsp butter on a tava (griddle), place ¼th of the stuffing and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Place the roti on a clean, dry surface, place the stuffing on one end of the roti, top with ¼ cup of onions, sprinkle 1½ tsp of masala water and ¼ tsp of chaat masala evenly over it.
- Roll it up tightly.
- Wrap in an aluminium foil/tissue paper.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make 3 more frankies.
- Serve immediately with tomato sauce.
- Cheese frankie: sprinkle 2 tbsp of grated processed cheese over the stuffing (at step no. 3 in the above recipe) and proceed as per the recipe.
- Schezuan frankie: simply smear 1½ tbsp of schezuan sauce, evenly on the roti (at step no. 3) and proceed as per the recipe.
- Paneer frankie: for the stuffing, replace ¾ cup of potatoes with ¾ cup of chopped paneer and proceed as per the recipe.
- Jain frankie: replace potatoes with equal quantities of raw banana for the stuffing and replace onions with equal quantities of cabbage in the recipe given above. You can add grated cheese over the stuffing to make it more flavourful.
Veg Frankie recipe video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per frankie
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.