Best 13 Comforting and Satiating Indian Khichdi Recipes
After a long and tiring day when your bones are almost giving away, after a deadly fever that has left you like a rag, or on a cold winter’s day that freezes your spine, what could rescue you but a bowl of khichdi! The humble khichdi is perhaps the homeliest dish one can think of. Comforting and satiating, it takes care of your tummy and spirits.
However, one complaint most people have against this wonderful dish is that it often turns out to be monotonous. That is because a lot of people are unaware of the versatility of this sumptuous rice dish, and keep preparing the same old khichdi recipe over and over again. Try our latest khichdi recipes, and you will be amazed by how exciting the seemingly humble khichdi can actually be!
1. The most common and basic khichdi is a Moong Dal Khichdi. From the land of west India, this is a very soothing khichdi, especially when served with a bowl of hot Gujarati Kadhi. It is one of the homliest meal.
Moong Dal Khichdi, Gujarati Recipe
2. What’s famous in North of India is Palak Khichdi. The combination of rice and yellow moong dal remains the same. However, the khichdi is made in a different way. It is tempered with cumin seeds and whole spices like cinnamon, clove, cardamom and curry leaves. Flavoured by sautéing onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger paste. Finally the how bowl of khichdi is served with a bowl of dahi and papad.
3. Panch Dhan Khichdi is a healthy traditional recipe from the land of Gujarat. Our ancestors use to make this as a healthy one dish meal for dinner. With new culinary trends setting in, it has been made more flavourful by the addition of a coconut, chilli, ginger and garlic paste. Do try it out!
Panch Dhan Khichdi
4. Khichdis like Bajra, Whole Moong and Green Pea Khichdi and many more can be magical one-pot meals, loaded with energy, nutrients and exciting flavours. With the rice and dal, you can toss in myriad other ingredients including veggies and masalas, to transform this easy dish into a memorable meal.
Bajra, Whole Moong and Green Pea Khichdi
5. Toovar Dal ni Khichdi is yet another delicacy enjoyed by Gujaratis. This has a very different texture. It is not as smooth as most khichdis. Instead it is grains of rice and dal almost separate. Curd and pickle are best accompaniments to this Comforting and Satiating Indian Khichdi.
Toovar Dal Ni Khichdi, Gujarati Recipe
6. There is a khichdi in our storehouse for fasting days too! Try the Sweet Potato Khichdi. With all the ingredients allowed during fasting, this simple Indian khichdi tops the list of fasting recipes. You can make it as much spicy as you wish.
Sweet Potato Khichdi, Vrat, Upvas
7. As a healthy variation of this comfort food, you can indulge into Oats Khichdi. No rice at all. Oats and moong dal combine beautifully with very few spices in this khichdi. Serve it with Moong Sprouts Dapka Kadhi to square up your meal.
8. You should definitely not miss out on this Rajasthani style – Bajra Khichdi. Cook up your favourite khichdi, top it with a dollop of ghee, and enjoy it piping hot with a cup of kadhi, a crisp papad and perhaps a tangy kachumber too.
Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi
9. Fresh corn can also have a twist in the form of khichdi. This Makai ni Khichdi is a very simple, sumptuous and tasty enough to resist. Even kids are sure to enjoy this sweet and lightly spicy khichdi.
10. Another grain broken wheat replaces rice to make the famous Fada ni Khichdi. It is a spice treat for all those who enjoy spicy food. The spiciness is not only due to the chilli powder, but also because of the addition of pav bhaji masala. With a bowl of curd, you it’s one of the tastiest khichdi you must have ever tasted.
Fada Ni Khichdi
11. Looking for an Indian khichdi with brown rice? We won’t despair you. Made perfectly in a pressure cooker, Healthy Brown Rice Khichdi is very easy to make. This khichdi needs no accompaniment at all. It is bursting with flavours by itself.
Brown Rice Khichdi, Healthy Lentil Brown Rice Khichadi
12. Whole jowar too can be used to make a khichdi. Jowar and Moong Dal Khichdi is super healthy and brimming with iron and protein. Both the nutrients are required to maintain cell health. It gives you enough energy and will surely keep you satiated till next meal.
13. Why only Moong Dal based Khichdi? Explore other dals too. Here’s an interesting Masoor Dal and Palak Khichdi. The potato cubes in this rice delicaylends a good motuh-feel. Serve it with Onion Tomato Raita. It is the quickest and easiest raita to make in 10 minutes.
Masoor Dal and Palak Khichdi