Bajra Khichdi ( Rajasthani)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 244 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 157160 times
When one thinks of homely food, khichdi is the first option that comes to mind. A wholesome khichdi can warm your heart and make you comfortable after a long and busy day, and this sumptuous Bajra Khichdi is sure to live up to your expectations. Rajasthanis use more of millets like bajra than rice, and therefore recipes like khichdi that are typically made with rice in other parts of the country are made differently in Rajasthan. Bajra Khichdi, with its creamy consistency and mild flavours, is both comforting and satiating and makes a lovely meal when served with a cup of curds or raita. If you are looking for something more elaborate, feel free to add some spices to the tempering, or maybe even throw in some chopped veggies into the cooker along with the bajra and moong dal.
- Combine the bajra, moong dal, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked bajra-moong dal mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||130.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||71.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.