by Tarla Dalal
Added to 216 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 128571 times
This mouth-watering khichdi makes a complete meal with just a cup of curds and a papad because it is so self-contained in terms of flavours. From garlicky and tangy to mildly spicy, this delicious Palak Khichdi has everything you would love to have in a one-dish meal .With greens, rice and dal, it is really sumptuous too. Although the list of ingredients seems long, you will find that they are all common, everyday ingredients that you are sure to find in your kitchen.
With greens, rice and dal, it is really sumptuous too. Although the list of ingredients seems long, you will find that they are all common, everyday ingredients that you are sure to find in your kitchen.
Add your private note
Palak Khichdi recipe - How to make Palak Khichdi
Soaking time: 30 minutes Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 hours 13 minutesMakes 4 servings
- Combine the rice and dal in enough water in a deep bowl and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain well. Keep aside.
- Combine the spinach and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the rice, dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1 ½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic and ginger paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the palak puree, chilli powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal-rice mixture, salt and 1 ½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, cardamom ,curry leaves, kashmiri dry red chilli and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared palak khichdi and mix well.
- Serve hot with curds and papad.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.