Wholesome Khichdi ( Pregnancy Cookbook)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 144 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29856 times
Khichdi is a meal that is complete in itself. It is a misconception that khichdi is meant only for sick people. I have added grated vegetable to add more fibre to this recipe. The rice and dal provide plenty of protein and carbohydrates and also folic acid. This recipe is good throughout your pregnancy but it is best suited for the third trimester and lactation because it is a concentrated source of nutrients which you will require throughout this period.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, peppercorns, bayleaf and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the bottle gourd and carrot and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the moong dal, rice, turmeric powder, salt and 3 ½ cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mix well to combine the rice and dal together.
- Serve hot with fresh curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.