Fada ni Khichdi ( Zero Oil Dal Chawal Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 138 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 63609 times
Think beyond lapsi and upma, and try this nutritious meal with broken wheat.
All it requires is a little modification to the traditional khichdi, to make a super tasty but healthy and oil-free recipe. We have replaced rice with broken wheat and added veggies and dal to make the combo healthier and more tasty too.
Broken wheat provides calcium, folic acid, fibre, iron and other nutrients. Being rich in fibre, broken wheat is also a good option for weight-watchers.
The Fada ni Khichdi is best enjoyed fresh, but if you are serving it later, it might get thick so adjust the consistency with a little water, heat and serve.
- Clean, wash and soak the bulgur wheat and yellow moong dal in enough water in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, cloves and cardamom and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and dry roast for 30 seconds.
- Add the bulgur wheat, yellow moong dal, peas and tomatoes and dry roast for another 1 minute while stirring continuously.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 2 cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with low-fat curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.