Bajra, Whole Moong and Green Pea Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 180 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 81159 times
You must have heard of Bajra Khichdi, a famous Rajasthani delicacy. While that is a wholesome dish, here is something even more nourishing, fortified with more healthy stuff like whole moong, green peas and tomatoes. These not only add more crunch and tang to the khichdi, but also add more fibre, iron and protein, making the Bajra, Whole Moong and Green Pea Khichdi a complete meal in its own right.
- Soak the bajra and moong separately in enough watwer in a deep bowl for 5 hours and drain well.
- Combine the bajra, moong, green peas, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add and the asafoetida onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic paste, ginger paste, green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, mash using a potato masher, white stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked bajra-moong dal- green pea mixture and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.