Vegetable Bulgur Wheat Khichdi, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 1397 times
Vegetables add a splash of colours and refreshing textures to what might otherwise be a boring khichdi.
The Vegetable Bulgur Wheat Khichdi is a wonderfully tasty and super healthy dish that’s ideal for those with diabetes, kidney problems or high blood pressure.
Not only is the recipe low salt, but it’s made out of bulgur wheat, an ingredient that is low in phosphorous and potassium as compared to other cereals.
Apart from injecting some fun into the dish, the veggies also bring in loads of fibre, which helps to manage sugar levels better.
Even though there is less salt in this khichdi, the taste is not compromised as it has a good balance of taste-enhancing ingredients like ginger, garlic, tomatoes, onions and spice powders. The recipe uses very little oil, and so you should keep stirring continuously to prevent the spices and vegetables from sticking to the pan and getting charred.
Try other low-salt recipes like Nourishing Khichdi.
- Put the bulgur wheat in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger, garlic and onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, cauliflower and bottle gourd, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the bulgur wheat, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 5 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute while mashing the khichdi lightly.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.