Bengali Style Brown Rice Khichdi, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9284 times
Be it a cold winter’s day or a sweltering summer’s one, there is nothing like a meal of Khichdi to perk you up, for this is one dish that manages to always warm the soul as well as satisfy the tummy!
The Bengali style adds a bit of excitement to the equation, by cooking the rice and dal with a large assortment of spices and veggies.
Here, we have perked up the health quotient of this simple but flavour-packed dish by making it with brown rice. While making the Bengali-style Brown Rice Khichdi, stick to the proportions of spices mentioned in this recipe as they are perfectly balanced.
You can also try other blood pressure friendly dishes like the Poha Handwa and Green Peas Soup .
- Combine the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon in a mortar pestle and ground into a coarse powder.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the bayleaf and the prepared coarse powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, brown rice, masoor dal, carrots, french beans and peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, green chillies and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.