by Tarla Dalal
Added to 49 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53552 times
Ever thought of making a khichdi with barley? Try it once, and you will want to keep repeating this masterpiece in your kitchen. Made of barley and a horde of veggies, this tasty dish is colourful and attractive.
An exotic combination of veggies gives it a nice juicy crunch, while everyday ingredients like cumin seeds and green chillies give the Barley Khichdi a soothing and lingering flavour. This satiating dish is loaded with antioxidants that help to fight free radicals and increase your immunity, as well as abundant fibre that helps to cleanse your system and lose weight as well. Enjoy the Barley Khichdi hot and fresh.
- Combine the barley and 1½ cups water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the all remaining vegetables and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked barley, green chillies, little salt and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Barley Khichdi Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.