by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 80% LIKED IT
4 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 106 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58847 times
The mughals were known to name certain dishes after themselves to signify where they were invented. A brilliant khichdi made from rice and moong, this preparation is flavoured with whole garam masalas. Freshly grated coconut and cashewnuts are used to add volume and flavoring to the khichdi. Enjoy it with fresh curds, papad and pickle.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and moong together for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom, curry leaves and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the rice-moong mixture, 3 cups of hot water, coconut, salt and green chilli paste, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with curds, papad and pickle.
Shahjahani Khichdi Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.