Jowar and Vegetable Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 85179 times
A tasty One Dish Meals made of healthy jowar, the Jowar and Vegetable Khichdi is also quite exotic due to the choice of veggies used in it. Coloured capsicum and zucchini bring in not just colour but also a host of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, just as the whole grain makes the jowar khichdi rich in protein, fibre and iron.
- Soak the whole jowar overnight in enough water. Next day, drain all the water.
- Combine soaked and drained jowar, 1 cup of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep the cooked whole jowar aside without draining the water.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, green chillies, red, green, yellow capsicum and the zucchini and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add a little salt, cooked jowar (along with the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the water dries up, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Jowar and Vegetable Khichdi Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.