handi khichdi recipe | brown rice vegetable khichdi | zero oil khichdi |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 58 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 61150 times
This dish is cooked in a traditional Indian deep iron pan called "handi". It is believed that cooking in iron utensils increases the iron content of food, however rice is also naturally rich in iron, so you can be double sure that this recipe will boost your haemoglobin levels. Marinating the vegetables and rice in spices enhances the flavour of this dish, but ensure that you marinate it for at least 30 minutes for best results.
- Clean, wash and soak the brown rice in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients including the brown rice in in a kadhai or a handi, mix well and keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 30 minutes or till the rice gets cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Handi Khichdi recipe with step by step photos
like handi khichdi recipe | brown rice vegetable khichdi | zero oil khichdi | then see our collection of khichdi recipes and some recipes we love.
- buckwheat khichdi recipe | kutto khichdi | farali kutto khichdi | healthy kutto khichdi | with 15 amazing images.
- sprouted moong khichdi recipe | microwave sprouted moong khichdi | quick and easy Indian khichdi | with 20 images.
- oats khichdi recipe | healthy Indian oats khichdi | oats moong dal khichdi | how to make oats khichdi for weight loss | with 12 amazing images.
Khichdi is a staple food in our country. Generally, it is made with a combination of rice and lentils. You can substitute/mix and match to form a myriad of khichdi recipes using various dals, grains, pulses, sprouts etc. The health quotient can be improved with the addition of vegetables and use of healthy grains like jowar, bajra, wheat etc. Khichdi is commonly known as sick man’s food because of it’s simple yet strength giving effect. Lehsun ki chutney, freshly chopped onions, papad, pickles, curd and kadhi are some popular accompaniments served with a khichdi. Below are some other healthy khichdi recipes.
what is handi khichdi made off? is made from
This is what brown rice looks like.
Wash the brown rice in water.
Soak for 15 minutes.
Drain and keep aside.
In a kadhai put 1/2 cup cauliflower florets.
Add 1/4 cup green peas.
Add 1/4 cup chopped onions.
Add 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania).
Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
Add 1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder.
Add 1 tsp chilli powder.
Add 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste.
Add 1/2 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste.
Add 1 clove (laung / lavang).
Add 2 cardamoms.
Add 1 bayleaf (tejpatta).
Add 50 mm (2") piece of cinnamon (dalchini).
Add soaked brown rice.
Add salt to taste.
Keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.