by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Dal Khichdi in Hindi)
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Dal Khichdi in Gujarati)
Added to 205 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 699036 times
An elaborate yet easy khichdi that makes a wholesome and delicious meal, the Dal Khichdi is made of toovar dal and rice combined with not just whole spices but also onions, garlic and tomatoes. This imparts a tangy twist to the khichdi making it holistic in terms of taste too. When you don’t have time to prepare a kadhi, you can just serve this with curds and papad, and there you have a sumptuous dinner on the table!
- Combine the toovar dal, rice, turmeric powder, ¼ tsp of asafoetida, salt and 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, red chillies and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining ¼ tsp of asafoetida, green chillies, curry leaves, onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, a little salt and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice-dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes,while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Dal Khichdi Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.