Barley Vegetable Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 39 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34578 times
There is no better way to end a busy day, than with a bowl of khichdi and curds. However, those who suffer from acidity often have to stay away from rice-based khichdi.
However, you can have this Barley Vegetable Khichdi instead, because barley is more stomach-friendly. The veggies give the khichdi a nice texture and flavour, which is improved further by a simple but effective tempering.
Make sure you serve this khichdi immediately as it is made with barley.
You can also try other stomach-friendly recipes like Green Peas and Methi Pulao and Curd Brown Rice .
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, peppercorns, bayleaf and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the bottle gourd and carrot and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the barley, moong dal, turmeric powder, salt and 4½ cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.