12 Uses of Dalia, Broken Wheat
Broken Wheat, or Dalia, are just whole wheat grains that are milled coarsely. These have all the nutrition of wheat flour with additional dietary fiber. When cooked, dalia results in a hearty, warm and comforting meal. It is used for various sweet and savory recipes in India.
1. One of the most well-known Gujarati Desserts – Lapsi – is made with dalia. Lapsi is a dessert where the dalia is first roasted in ghee giving it nice brown color and then it is sweetened with either sugar or jaggery and flavored with cardamom. This dessert is often served at religious ceremonies and functions in the Gujarati community. Another festive sweet made with broken wheat is kheer.
2. Just like semolina, we can use dalia to make Dalia Upma with vegetables of different kinds. This upma can be had as a snack or as a breakfast item.
3. It is often used as a substitute of rice in various dishes. Dalia can be turned into a grain Pulao with the addition of different vegetables and proteins like paneer.
4. Bulgur wheat is a great source of iron, magnesium and dietary fiber and hence is added to numerous diet plans all over the world to aid better help.
5. Due to its health benefits, dalia is very commonly used to prepare baby and toddler food. Bulgur wheat porridge is such a dish that keeps the babies full for a couple of hours while also providing them with the appropriate nutrients.
6. Many dishes can be made healthier with dalia. Instead of rice, you can make a simple Fada ni Khichdi. South Indian Pongal, which is generally made with rice and moong dal, is turned into a healthy option with Bulgur Wheat Pongal.
7. Cooked dalia has a certain bite to it which makes it perfect for salads. The salads can be whipped up with many ingredients like a Black Bean and Bulgur wheat Salad or a Bulgur Vegetable Salad.
8. It can be turned into different types of snacks as well. Crispy tikkis can be made with broken wheat. These tikkis can be customized according to your preference with different ingredients like paneer, beetroot and other vegetables. We can even make Vegetable Burgerpatties with dalia.
9. A very unique way of making use of dalia is to turn it into Lazeez Parathas. Together with a little whole wheat flour and chana dal, dalia makes wonderful parathas.
10. Raw dalia is used to make very nutritious Bulgur wheat pancakes which can be had for breakfast or snacks. Just by soaking the dalia for a while and grinding it with a little water, you get a nice batter of pouring consistency. To this batter you can add any vegetables and cook as pancakes on a nonstick pan.
11. It works as a replacement of couscous as well and hence is used in different dishes of the middle-east. Salads like Orange Tabbouleh are a good example of how broken wheat can replace couscous.
12. Dalia can also be added to soups or be used as a stuffing to increase the fiber content of the dish. One such recipe is the Stuffed Bulgur and Brinjal Bake recipe where the dalia is cooked in tomato gravy, stuffed inside brinjals and baked to perfection.
To know about Recipes using Dalia, check out our collection.