Lapsi, Fada ni Lapsi, Gujarati Broken Wheat Dessert Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Lapsi, Fada ni Lapsi, Gujarati Broken Wheat Dessert Recipe in Hindi)
Added to 297 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 389215 times
One of the most well-known of Gujarati desserts, Lapsi is a very appealing sweet dish of roasted and cooked broken wheat sweetened with sugar and flavoured pleasantly with cardamom powder. Roasting the broken wheat in ghee gives the Lapsi a rich brown colour, intense aroma and nice flavour. Although it is a traditional recipe, it has a timeless appeal and is much-loved by both adults and children. This is one of the sweets that is commonly made during festivals in Gujarati households. You can also try other such traditional sweets like the Coconut Sheera and Kaju Kopra Sheera.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai, add the broken wheat, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add 2 cups of warm water, mix well and cook on a high flame till the water starts boiling.
- Cook on a slow flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the broken wheat is almost done, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the ghee separates, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with almond and pistachio slivers.
- If you make the lapsi in advance, before serving add 2 tbsp of milk to the lapsi, mix well and reheat it for 2 minutes.
Lapsi, Fada ni Lapsi Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.