Bulgur Wheat Kheer
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 108 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 75515 times
bulgur wheat kheer recipe | bulgur wheat payasam | low calorie Indian dessert | broken wheat kheer – payasam |
dalia kheer also known as bulgur wheat kheer is a comparatively healthy Indian sweet to be enjoyed occasionally. Learn how to make broken wheat kheer – payasam.
bulgur wheat kheer is made from 5 simple and easily available ingredients like dalia, low fat milk, cornflour, little sugar and elaichi.
To make bulgur wheat kheer, soak the bulgur wheat in ½ cup of water for 15 minutes. Drain, add 1 more cup of water and cook till water evaporates and the broken wheat is cooked. Add the milk, sugar and cornflour–milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes or till the mixture becomes thick. Add the saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder and mix well. Cool and refrigerate and serve.
Can you imagine a festive menu without kheer / payasam? Indeed, kheer is very close to our heart and our culture too. Unfortunately, this irresistible treat overshoots healthy calorie limits when cooked richly with full cream milk, nuts and loads of sugar. This kheer is especially not suitable for heart patients.
Bulgur wheat payasam is a good way out. By using high-fibre bulgur wheat with low fat milk and minimal sugar, this bulgur wheat kheer turns out to be a heart-friendly and waistline-friendly treat, if had in small portions.
This low calorie Indian dessert makes use of 1 tsp of cornflour for 4 servings to get the necessary thickness, but if you wish you can avoid it and cook it a little extra.
Enjoy bulgur wheat kheer recipe | bulgur wheat payasam | low calorie Indian dessert | broken wheat kheer – payasam | dalia kheer in small portions during festivals.
- Wash and soak the broken wheat in ½ cup water for 15 minutes. Drain and discard the water.
- Combine the soaked broken wheat along with 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the water evaporates, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, sugar and cornflour–milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes or till the mixture becomes thick.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep aside to cool slightly and refrigerate it for 15 minutes.
- Serve chilled garnished with the saffron stands or rose petals.
Bulgur Wheat Kheer Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.