Whole Wheat Vegetable Burger
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 448 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37629 times
Spicy cutlets made with broken wheat and vegetables are stuffed between nourishing, fibre-rich whole wheat buns, to make a low-fat treat packed with nutrients like protein, calcium, iron and vitamin A.
The cutlets in this Whole Wheat Vegetable Burger are cooked on a non-stick tava with minimal oil, and mayonnaise is replaced with low-cal Thousand Island dressing, to give you the same pleasurable experience in a guilt-free package.
Serve with Low Fat Fries and a Low Cal Beverage .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Soak it in 1 cup of hot water for 15 minutes, drain well and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the broken wheat in a deep bowl and mix well while mashing lightly.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into 75 mm. (3”) diameter cutlet.
- Heat a non-stick tava and grease it with 1 tsp of oil, cook the cutlet using the remaining ½ tsp of oil on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ¼ tsp of butter on the insides of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle).
- Apply 1 tbsp of the low calorie thousand island dressing evenly on the buttered side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower halve of the burger bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-dressing side facing upwards.
- Place 1 lettuce, a cutlet, 3 cucumber slices, 3 tomato slices, 1 onion slice and sprinkle a little salt and pepper evenly over it.
- Cover it with the upper halve of the bun with the buttered-dressing side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more burgers.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per burger
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.