Sources of Iron Rich Indian Food | Iron rich food list |
Iron is an important nutrient for our body and for our health. It helps our cells "breathe". Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Therefore, if the iron levels are inadequate, then our body may not be able to use all the energy available to it. So we present you the TOP 35 Vegetarian sources of IRON RICH FOOD. Below is the Top 8 sources and the table shows a bigger list of 35 sources of Iron Rich Foods.
Click here to see your Daily Iron Requirements.
Top 8 Sources of Iron Rich Foods
1. Garden Cress: The best source of Iron is soaked Garden Cress seeds. Also called as halim, in the form of Halim Water it is one of the best sources of iron. Lemon is squeezed in it for enhanced iron absorption. A glass of this water fulfils 20% of your day’s requirement of iron. Have it every alternate day to overcome anaemia.
Halim Recipe, Garden Cress, Best Source Of Iron
2. Turmeric Powder (Haldi): Warm Honey Lemon Water with Turmeric is a simple detox solution that can be consumed everyday, first thing in the morning. This spice powder found on every kitchen shelf is a boon to ward off fatigue due to iron deficiency.
Warm Honey Lemon Water with Turmeric
3. Cauliflower Greens : Cauliflower leaves are nothing but the green leaves that cover the cauliflower and often are sold along with the entire cauliflower. We tend to throw away these greens, but they are a store house of iron and other antioxidants. Chop and add them to your chapatti dough – it’s so simple. Want to tickle your taste buds with this leafy vegetable? Try Cauliflower Greens and Besan Muthia.
Cauliflower Greens and Besan Muthia
4. Cow Pea leaves: Another green which is not used very often, but is a good source of iron. Also called as chawli ki bhaji, it can be creatively used to make Chawli Leaves Parota – Bengali style. This parota is also a winner in the flavour and aroma categories, and will go on to top the charts if you serve with a spicy dal for added zing!
Chawli Leaves Parota, Healthy Bengali Recipe
5. Beaten Rice: In simple words it is poha. Poha Cutlet and Poha Nachni Handvo are two novel ways of using this iron filled ingredient.
Poha Cutlet ( Iron Rich )
These tasty and healthy snacks will help you boost your iron and folic acid reserves and build up your haemoglobin stores.
Poha Nachni Handvo
6. Matki: Very commonly used to make Math chi Bhaji in Maharashtrian cuisine. It is brimming with iron. Sprout it to reap more health benefits. You can use it in the form Matki Salad as a part of your meal. It is good to build your protein reserves too. A host of other vitamins and antioxidants help reduce inflammation in the body.
Matki Salad, Healthy Moath Bean Salad
7. Sesame Seeds: That means til. Yes, these tiny seeds are a storehouse of iron. While its most common use is Til Ladoo, you can also add it to your salads and roti dough.
Til Laddu, Til Ke Ladoo, Til Gud Ladoo Recipe
Want to try something different? Go in for Til Jowar Puris. Baked to perfection, it is a welcome addition for most of us – whether you are a healthy individual or suffering from heart disease, obesity, diabetes, hypertension or PCOS.
Til Jowar Puri, Sesame Seeds and White Millets Cracker
8. Bajra Flour: Black millet flour is what it is known as. It abounds in iron. Replace wheat flour rotis with Bajra Rotis at least twice a week. It is a traditional Rajasthani recipe which is brimming with protein, iron and fiber. Serve it with a subzi or dal of your choice.
Top 35 Sources of Iron Rich Vegetarian Foods
More information on Iron.
1. Anaemia Causes, Symptoms, Tackling, Dos and Don’t
2. Iron Rich recipes
3. Iron Rich Breakfast recipes
4. Daily Iron Requirements
We would love to hear from you if you liked the article. Please post your comments. Thanks!