Viewed 29726 times
Also Known as
Arbi leaves, Elephant ear
Description Arvi leaves are green in colour, this heart shape leaf are commonly used in Indian dishes. There are many varieties of Colocassia around the world; eddo, dasheen, elephant's ear. The tuber has light brown, horizontal rings, dark and light, all along the tuber's fibrous skin and a white or cream or light pink flesh. A perennial tuber with huge heart-shaped leaves, often planted in or near water gardens. Velvety green leaves provide textured backdrop to other plants, or can be planted as a specimen. Leaves and stems may also be found in colors such as cranberry or dark purplish black, depending on vari
Chopped colocassia leaves
Wash and pat dry the Colocassia leaves remove the stems and chop finely as desired - thickly or thinly.
How to Select
Look for light and bright green leaves which are fresh, not limp. When buying colocassia, look for medium sized tubers, with as little hair/roots as possible.
· Cooked arvi has a light mealy texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
· Taro/Colocassia leaves are stacked up rolled into spirals with a spiced chickpea paste, steamed and then fried to make patra or Alu wadi or Arvi Patte ke Roll, a famous Gujarati Farsan. It can be shallow fried with Tadka of cumin seeds and sesame seeds, curry leaves and coriander leaves to garnish. Tastes best with chutney or ketchup.
· It can be used in cutlets or stuffed and steamed.
· Arvi made into soup, chips, numerous varieties of curries, roasted like potatoes, even made into flour.
· It is eaten in many tropical countries around the world as a staple food
· A shallow fried dish made with roots, goes well as a side dish or an evening snack.
· When pressure cooked in tamarind water it adds a tangy taste. It can be further shallow fried in oil along with other spices to get the desired taste. Usually garlic cloves and dry red chillies are added to do the Tadka. But dry red chilli powder and crushed ginger and garlic can be used depending on the preference. Enjoy it with any variety hot rice.
How to Store
Removing the leaves makes handling and storage much easier, but there was a possibility that the leaves could be a source of carbohydrates during storage. It can stay upto a week, if wrapped in a plastic bag and refrigerated.
· It is an excellent source of vitamins C and E, potassium, magnesium, and folate.
· The fiber content is also good.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.