by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 43 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33070 times
A traditional dish that is tasty and healthy too, Lavingya Paatra involves cooking thin layers of a besan-based paste rolled up in baby colocassia leaves. Generally, our ancient cooking techniques have some significance. Here, for instance, the colocassia leaves impart calcium to build strong bones. Serve with a chutney of your choice.
- Wash the colocassia leaves and dry using a kitchen towel.
- Place a leaf with the vein side facing you on a clean dry surface and remove the veins using a sharp knife.
- Spread a little besan paste on it in an even layer using your fingers.
- Fold the leaf around 25 mm. (1”) from both the sides and spread a little besan paste evenly over it.
- Roll the leaf from its non-tip end to the tip end tightly.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 9 more paatras and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the paatras, toss gently and cook on a medium flame for a minute.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paatra
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.