Damni Dhokla ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 106 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 119412 times
Damni dhokla, a nutritious recipe that combines dals and parboiled rice, this might take you a little time to prepare, but it is totally worth the effort. The dals are washed, soaked, dried and ground, making this an authentic though slow procedure. You will also find readymade flour in stores, in case you don’t have the patience to make it this way. Methia keri sambhaar is a traditional gujarati pickle masala, which is available in most stores. But if you don’t find it, do not worry – just skip the ingredient and it will taste just the same. Also, these dhoklas are traditionally made in an almond or banana leaf cone, but you can make them in a thali too.
- Combine all the dals and rice together and wash well. Drain and keep aside.
- Dry on a kitchen towel and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Add the sour curds and approximately ½ cup of water and mix well to make a thick batter. Cover and keep aside to ferment for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add the methia keri sambhaar, chilli powder, jaggery and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently. Keep aside.
- Roll each leaf to make a small cone and secure the edges using a tooth pick.
- Place a few boiled chanas in each cone and then pour a spoonful of batter into each leaf cone and steam for 10-12 minutes. Serve hot.
- Readymade damni dhokla flour is available in the market, you can use it for a quicker version.
- Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.
- If you do not find almond leaves or banana leaves you can use muffin moulds or any other moulds to make these yummy dhoklas.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.