by Tarla Dalal
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Rajma Dhokla in Gujarati)
Added to 113 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53654 times
This awesome recipe brings together a healthy ingredient with a healthy cooking method, and all in an extremely tasty way! A true tempter, the Rajma Dhokla looks appealing and tastes great.
It is also quite easy to make, as you just need to soak the rajma and blend with the other ingredients to get the batter. Then, it’s as simple as steaming and tempering.
There is no fermentation required. So, you can just soak the rajma overnight and prepare these yummy dhoklas in the morning for breakfast. Your kids will enjoy having this tasty snack, and so will you!
Besides green chutney you can also try other chutneys to serve with the Rajma Dhoklas, like Tomato Coconut Chutney, Ginger Chutney and Coriander Onion Chutney
Enjoy how to make Rajma Dhokla recipe with detailed step by step photos.
- To make the rajma dhokla recipe, first clean, wash and soak the rajma overnight.
- Drain the rajma and blend in a mixer using enough water to make a smooth batter. (approx. ½ cup)
- Add the ginger paste, green chilli paste, sugar and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the rajma batter and 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it evenly.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes on medium flame or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- Cool slightly and cut into square pieces.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the , asafetida and mustard seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly.
- Serve the rajma dhokla immediately with green chutney.
Rajma Dhokla recipe with step by step photos
- Clean, wash and soak the rajma overnight.
- Drain the rajma completely with the help of a strainer.
- Put it in a mixer jar. Depending upon the size of the jar, you can blend it in batches.
- Blend in a mixer adding approximately ½ cup to ¾ cup of water to make a smooth batter.
- Add the ginger paste to the batter.
- Add the green chilli paste. You can add the spice level according to your personal preference.
- Add the sugar to the batter.
- Finally, add the salt and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour ½ tsp oil in a 175 mm. (7") diameter thali.
- Spread it on the thali with the help of a brush to grease it completely.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the rajma batter. Do not let the batter sit for too long after adding fruit salt as they will not be soft if done that. Also, make sure you are using fresh fruit salt.
- Add 2 tsp of water over the fruit salt. You will see the formation of bubbles.
- Mix the batter in one direction quickly. You will notice the batter has risen to almost double.
- Pour the batter immediately into the greased thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it evenly.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the rajma dhoklas are cooked. Cook them over a medium flame, as high heat will rise them fast but, not cook from inside.
- Insert a knife or a toothpick in the center of the thali and check if it comes out clean. If it doesn’t then cook for 2-3 minutes more. Post that , take them out of the steamer, cool slightly and cut into square pieces.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds. You can even add green chilly roundels or sesame seeds in the tempering.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly with the help of a spoon.
- Serve the kidney beans dhokla immediately with green chutney.
- You can also try making other healthy dhokla recipes like Methi palak chawli dhokla, Mag ni dal na dhokla and sprouts dhokla & enjoy them with tongue-tickling chutneys.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.