Maharashtrian Patal Bhaji, Paatal Bhaji
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 146 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 111011 times
Colocassia leaves are frequently used in Maharashtrian and Gujarati cooking, not only for their unique flavour but for their nutritional benefits as well. Maharashtrian Patal Bhaji, made with colocassia leaves and chana dal, perked up with a special coconut-based masala, is a treat to your palate with its interesting sweet-and-sour flavour.
It is a great dish to have during the third trimester of pregnancy when a woman’s calcium requirements are very high. This Paatal Bhaji is also an excellent source of iron, calcium, folic acid and fibre. Enjoy it with hot phulkas to make a healthy meal!
- Combine the chana dal, colocassia leaves and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the chana dal-colocassia leaves mixture, tamarind pulp, jaggery, peanuts and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.