Cauliflower Greens and Besan Muthia
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16740 times
How often we find ourselves picking lush cauliflowers at the market, only to quickly discard the greens and stow the cauliflower head alone into the fridge! Well, this recipe will help you discover the goodness of this often unused part of the cauliflower.
The greens are a great source of iron and folic acid, which are must-have nutrients for mums-to-be. The Cauliflower Greens and Besan Muthia is a tasty and healthy steamed snack, which will help you boost your iron and folic acid reserves and build up your haemoglobin stores. You will also thoroughly relish the yummy texture and lingering flavour of these traditionally-tempered muthias.
If you are looking out for more nutritious iron rich recipes for pregnancy check these out Chawli Masoor Dal , Nachni Ladoos , Ragi and Oat Crackers and Matki and Jowar Paratha .
- Combine the cauliflower greens, besan, whole wheat flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, sugar, oil, coriander and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into a cylindrical roll of approximately 150 mm. (6") in length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange both the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes. Remove and keep aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Cut each roll into 12 mm. (½”) slices and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the muthia pieces, toss gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.