Chawli Masoor Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 54 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54254 times
An all-time favourite, this recipe combines chawli leaves with wholesome masoor dal and a flavourful masala paste to make a dish that surely wins the diner’s heart! Apart from the irresistible taste, there are many more reasons that make the Chawli Masoor Dal a must-have, especially during pregnancy.
Chawli is one of the richest sources of iron and vitamin A and ideal for pregnant women. The vitamin A together with the protein in the dal helps to maintain healthy skin and vision, while the iron keeps anemia at bay. We have added a dash of vitamin C rich lemon juice to improve the absorption of iron from the mouth-watering dal. Enjoy it with a bowl of rice or your favourite roti .
- Combine the masoor dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chawli leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked masoor dal, prepared paste, a little salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.