by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 14 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19539 times
Muthia is an all-time favourite snack of the Gujaratis. A spiced dough is shaped into cylinders by gripping the dough between the palms, which is what gives it the name ‘muthia’ or fist.
These muthias are then steamed and tempered with seeds and curry leaves to get an aromatic and delectably tasty treat. While muthia is traditionally made with besan and rava, here we added quinoa flour to the duo, to make it a stronger team!
You are sure to enjoy the homely taste and amazing mouth-feel of the Quinoa Muthia! Serve it hot and fresh with a peppy garnish of coriander.
Try other muthia variants like the Methi Muthias or Mooli Muthia .
- Squeeze out all the excess water from the bottle gourd.
- Combine the quinoa flour, besan, semolina, bottle gourd, 1 tsp oil, green chilli paste, soda, ¼ tsp of asafoetida, turmeric powder, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using ¼ cup of water.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into approximately 150 mm. (6”) length and 25 mm. (1”) in diameter cylindrical roll.
- Arrange 2 rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 12 minutes or till a knife inserted into the muthia comes out clean.
- Repeat step 5 to steam 1 more batch.
- Remove, cool slightly and cut into 25 mm. (1“) slices using a sharp knife. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 6 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and remaining ¼ tsp of asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the muthia pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.