This page been viewed 5034 times
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
Last Updated : Jul 13,2018
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
THE POWER OF BREAKFAST
Kick-start your day with a nutritious meal to stay healthy and fit
Nutritionists have long considered breakfast as the ultimate brain food. I cannot reiterate that point enough. Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day, and by skipping it, you will not lose weight but you will certainly lose out on a whole range of benefits.
My team of nutritionists outlines here some reasons to ensure you have a good breakfast every day:
1. Most important meal of the day: Our body is similar to a car in that it needs fuel to run, and like a car, the better you look after your body, the longer and better it will run. Breakfast is the start to your day and as the name suggests, it is necessary to ‘break’ your all-night ‘fast’ and fuel your body for the day.
2. Meets one-fourth of your nutritional requirements: Having breakfast means consuming fibre-rich, high-protein and low-fat food. Thus, breakfast helps to meet our nutritional requirements and prevents nutrient deficiency.
3. Maintains normal weight: A good breakfast keeps you energetic and healthy as it provides the necessary nutrient boost, improves your metabolism, and prevents bingeing on high calorie foods later in the day. Some people think that by skipping breakfast, they will lose fat quickly. However, they are not only disturbing their body, but will certainly crave for something unhealthy or have a huge meal for lunch.
4. Ensure excellent memory function: Studies have shown that eating breakfast improves memory and learning. That means you are actually feeding your brain, rather than the stomach.
5. Improves overall health: A good breakfast has a positive impact on lowering cholesterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease. Studies have shown that persons who skip breakfasts are more prone to diabetes risk.
6. Helps avoid sugary and fatty foods: A hearty breakfast will discourage you from grabbing a mid-morning sugary snack or opting for fried food in the evening.
7. Lessens anxiety: Studies have proved that children who skip breakfast tend to be more anxious, tired, and restless, which may lead to more aggressive behaviour.
A balanced breakfast should provide:
1. About 25% of your daily calorie intake.
2. A mix of carbohydrates, protein and fibre.
3. A serving of fruit.
4. Plenty of fluids.
A good breakfast keeps you alert and energetic throughout the day. So, begin your day with the right mix of ingredients to give you a good start and keep energy levels perked up till lunch. By eating a good breakfast parents can set an example for their children, so ensure that the whole family sits down to a wholesome breakfast every day.
Breakfast Is The Most Important Meal Of The Day
This refreshing drink has a nice texture, which is quite unlike any juice you have ever had before.
Coconut Water with Coconut Meat has a pulpy texture, and when served chilled, it tingles your taste buds with the mildly-sweet but electrifying flavour, which is unique to coconut water.
Chill the coconut water earlier, but blend the drink just before serving. Do not blend it and then refrigerate because it will lose its fresh taste and texture.
Some Filling Snacks
and a glass of Coconut Water with Coconut Meat is enough to recharge you after a tiring day.
A mellow combination of fruits makes this a pleasant and soothing smoothie that will rejuvenate you on even the worst of days.
Both pear and papaya are easily available fruits, so you can make this any time. Curd gives the smoothie a nice tang, while papaya gives it a vibrant colour and volume. Pear, on the other hand, gives a juicy sweetness to the smoothie.
Enjoy the Papaya, Pear and Yoghurt Smoothie immediately after preparation to enjoy its fresh taste and creamy mouth-feel.
It is a nice way to include papayas in your breakfast
. You will also relish other papaya based smoothies like the Papaya and Green Apple Smoothie
and the Papaya Mango Smoothie
Kale is considered by experts to be one of the most nutrient-dense ingredients in the world, and fortunately for us, it is tasty too, especially when you choose the mildly-flavoured, small-leaved variety.
Here, we have made a mouth-watering Palak, Kale and Apple Juice, which has a very balanced flavour and nice texture. The ingredients are rich in iron, vitamin C and fibre, which makes it a nutritious snack for weight-watchers.
It is quite filling, as all the fibre is retained and not strained. The natural sweetness of apples and honey is enough to flavour this juice, so avoid adding sugar to it.
A loaf without wheat? Unbelievable but true, and absolutely awesome too. Behold the Almond Bread made with Almond Milk. This recipe is a better option for those that don’t have eggs as in the recipe Almond Flax Bread with Eggs
This is a really unique snack, which tastes great and is chock-full of good health too. It is gluten-free, which means that even gluten-sensitive people can enjoy it.
Rich in protein, which is good fat, the Almond Bread is an ideal snack for weight loss, and for athletes. You can enjoy it as it is, or with Peanut Butter
. Packed in a foil and refrigerated, it stays good for around five days.
It has been recently discovered that chana dal is a very beneficial pulse for diabetics as it helps in the utilization of sugar effectively causing a slow rise in blood sugar levels because of its low glycemic index. This recipe makes use of soaked chana dal mixed with vitamin rich vegetables and protein rich curds to enhance its taste. Grated ginger and green chillies add the much-needed spice to the pancakes. Cook these pancakes over a slow flame as the chana dal is coarsely ground and will take a while to cook well.
This recipe is one that will make oats a much-loved ingredient in your house! Here, fibre-rich oats is cooked along with a traditional, flavourful tempering and scrumptious, colourful veggies like carrots and peas, which add to the flavour and visual appeal of the dish. Take care to roast the oats well, to remove the raw aroma and also ensure that the final texture of the upma is nice and not gooey. The Oats Upma is quite filling, and ideal for Breakfast
as it will easily keep you satiated till lunch time. Being fibre-rich, this upma can also be had by diabetics, but in that case, the sugar should be avoided.
Rice and Moong Dal Idli is a variant of the most popular South Indian snack, Idli, which is traditionally made with rice and urad dal. The well-tested proportions of rice and green moong dal used in this recipe result in a pleasant texture, taste and colour, which will be loved by all your family members. It is a nutritious, protein-rich idli, further enhanced with vitamin-rich vegetables.
Green Pea Pancakes have an inviting colour and tempting flavour, which make them hard to refuse. What is more, this nutritious snack is rich in high folic acid and fibre, and can be reinforced with more nutrients by adding veggies of your choice to the batter. You are sure to love this innovative alternative to the famous south Indian uttapa!
Khakhras are a handy jar snack. They give wonderful company to a cup of hot tea
, silence your tummy whenever a sudden hunger pang strikes, and can be carried around in your handbag to snack on, anytime you are peckish.
These crisp and tasty Oats and Methi Multiflour Khakhras are full of iron-rich ingredients like fenugreek, jowar and nachni, which not only contribute iron to the recipe, but also improve the flavour and texture of the khakhra remarkably.
Oats brings to the table loads of fibre, which helps to keep your digestive tract healthy. So, whenever you find time, make a batch of these scrumptious khakhras and stock them in an airtight container.
Click here for more nutritious recipes for pregnancy
Pep up nachni flour by mixing it with moong dal and paneer to make an ideal breakfast paratha! cooked moong dal also provides the necessary binding.
Use the popular palak-paneer combination to make rotis with rice flour and ragi flour, both of which are gluten free!
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.