Maharashtrian Pitla, Pitla Recipe, Besan Pitla Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 76055 times
Pitla is a popular accompaniment that Maharashtrians never tire of having! Once you try it, you will want to have it too, as often as possible. Made with minimal and commonly available ingredients, the Besan Pitla is a quick and easy accompaniment that goes well with rice , rotis and puri . Here, besan dissolved in water, is cooked with onions, green chillies and an aromatic tempering. Just ensure you have the Maharashtrian Besan Pitla immediately on preparation because besan tends to thicken upon cooling.
- Combine the besan and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the green chillies and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the besan-water mixture, turmeric powder, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes ,while stirring continuously.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.