Last Updated : Oct 16,2019
Viewed 87647 times
Also Known as
White chick peas
What is Kabuli Chana, Chickpeas, Garbanzo? Kabuli chana is believed to be one of the earliest cultivated legumes. It is a small, hard, knobby, beige-coloured bean with a diameter of less than a centimetre. It looks kind of like a wrinkled hazelnut. Its nutty and creamy flavour, firm texture and minimal fat make it a versatile ingredient.
The desi varieties of chickpeas are small, angular seeds, which may be yellow, green, light brown or even black in colour.
Boiled kabuli chana
Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. It will swell to about three times the original size. Add salt and pressure-cook on high heat for ten minutes. Lower the heat and continue to cook for 15 minutes more or till done. Alternatively you can cook in a covered vessel full of water. When done, remove from the heat. Allow to cool for a while, and use as required.essure cooker. The cooking time depends upon one's cooking method.
Soaked and coarsely crushed kabuli chana
Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. It will swell to about three times the original size. Drain the water, wash again and blend the soaked chana a mixer into a coarse mixture. Use this crushed kabuli chana in tikkis, waffles, etc.
Soaked and parboiled kabuli chana
Wash and soak the chickpeas in enough water overnight. It will swell to about three times the original size. Drain well. Add the salt and enough water and pressure-cook for 2 whistles. When done, remove from the heat. Allow to cool for a while and use as required.
Soaked kabuli chana
Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. It will swell to about three times the original size. Use it with salads, chaats, subzis, pulaos, or in any other exciting creation. You can even soak a little extra and store in the refrigerator for a few days to use as and when required.
Sprouted kabuli chana
Wash the kabuli chana and soak it overnight in sufficient water in a flat-bottomed container. Then, drain the water and keep the chana aside. Take the flat-bottomed bowl or saucer, line its bottom with a wet 100% cotton washcloth. Spread the soaked chana on the cloth. Take another similar cloth and cover the chana. If the cloth is large enough, the same cloth can be folded over the chana, to make a bundle-like arrangement. Keep the container in a dry, dark place. You kitchen cupboard is an ideal place. After 12 hrs, sprinkle some more water on the cloth to make sure it is moist. Once the chana has sprouted to the desired length, you can remove and use it as required in the recipe.
How to Select
• Chickpeas is a versatile ingredient and a good source of protein. So, it is a good idea to stock some at all times.
• The beans are available year-round in canned or dried form.
• Canned chickpeas last for up to five years, and dried chickpeas can be stored, in an airtight container, almost indefinitely.
• Once cooked, chickpeas can be stored covered in the refrigerator for several days.
12 Ways to Use Kabuli Chana, Chick Peas 1. Chickpeas are a flavorful and healthful addition to several dishes, in both soaked and cooked form.
2. From stir-fries, dips, soups, salads to subzis and rice-based dishes, they can be used everywhere.
3. It is widely used in Middle-Eastern cuisine to make dips like hummus and starters like Falafel. Falafel can be stuffed inside pita pockets with a curd dressing to make healthy, sumptuous snacks like Falafel in Whole Wheat Pita Pockets.
4. Hummus is a traditional Lebanese dip served as a part of the mezze platter with Pita Bread, lavash or pickled vegetables. You can even enhance the taste of this authentic dip with the addition of different ingredients to make an assortment of hummus like Spicy Garlic Hummus, Tandoori Hummus, Parsley Hummus.
5. Soaked and sprouted chickpeas can also be used in salads. Sprouted Chana and Potato Salad with a peppy dressing is not only tasty but also, highly nutritious.
6. Mixed Sprouts Beetroot Healthy Lunch Veg Salad, Quinoa, Rocket Leaves and Chickpea Veg Salad, Three Bean Salad are some healthy salad options to incorporate in your diet.
7. Boil and add to cooked rice and season with your favourite seasonings to make a wonderful balanced meal. Kabuli Chana Biryani is a rich, unique blend of saffron-tinged rice layered with a tongue-tickling kabuli chana gravy, covered with foil, and baked for a while till the flavours meld to make an awesome one-dish meal. Also, you can make succulent koftas using kabuli chana and combine with rice to make Kabuli Chana Kofta Biryani.
8. Season with cumin seeds, garlic, chillies and ginger, toss in some colorful vegetables and add some spice powders and voila, you have a quick and tasty Kabuli Chana and Paneer with Mixed Vegetables subzi ready for lunch!
9. Boiled kabuli chana can also be used to make stuffing for patty and cutlets. Try this delicious corn and chick pea burger topped with crunchy lettuce, cucumber, onions and tomatoes and serve with spicy potato wedges, for a filling and delicious meal.
10. Maincourse dishes like Mixed Dal with Spinach and Kabuli Chana, Lemon Couscous with Vegetable Moroccan Curry, Achari Chana Pulao are some recipes you must try!
11. Punjabi Chole is a traditional dish from the North India. Eaten with Bhature as breakfast , you can also serve this Chole along with tikki, samosa to make mouth-watering chaats like Chole Tikki Chaat, Chole Samosa Chaat smeared with tangy chutneys, crunchy onions and crisp sev.
12. Also, you can make lip-smacking snacks like Masala Chickpeas, Tava Chana that will tantalize your taste buds.
How to Store Kabuli Chana, Chick Peas
• Always store dry beans in a dry airtight container at room temperature.
• Do not store dry beans in the refrigerator.
• Once cooked, beans can be kept in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days and in an airtight container in the freezer for up to six months.
• Beans are best used within one year. After that, they can lose their moisture and take longer to soak and cook.
• Always rinse and sort beans before cooking. Beans and lentils can have very small stones, which have to be removed by hand.
Nutritional Information of Kabuli Chana, Chick Peas One cup of cooked Kabuli Chana (White Chick Peas) is 82 grams. Nutritional details below.
14 grams of Protein
50 grams of Carbs
23.2 grams of Fibre
4.3 grams of Fat
154 mcg of Vitamin A = 6.45% of RDA (about 2,400 mcg)
152 mcg Folic Acid = 152% of RDA (about 100 mcg)
165 mg of Calcium = 16.5% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
3.7 mg of Iron = 18% of RDA(about 20 mg for women)
138 mg of Magnesium = 40% of RDA (about 350 mg )
255 mg of Phosphorous = 42.6% of RDA (about 600 mg)
2.37 mg of Zinc = 23.7% of RDA (about 10 mg)
8 Health Benefits of Kabuli Chana, Chick Peas 1. Prevents Spikes in Blood Sugar Levels : Kabuli Chana which is used in popularly in Chole in India is a complex cab which prevents surges in blood sugar levels. The starch present in Chick Peas slows down the rate at which food is digested resulting in a healthy life style and Lowers Blood Pressure . You rather have complex carbs than simple carbs which are the cause of body inflammation.
2. High Fiber : Chick peas are high in Fibre resulting in your stomach feeling a lot fuller than refined carbs. When you feel full, it will prevent you from eating the wrong foods. Imagine eating a candy and you just want to have more and more of it. Thats because there is only sugar in it and no fibre. So pick foods with high fibre.
3. Protein Rich : One cup of cooked chick peas has 14 grams of protein. Proteins are critical for a variety of tasks, right from the formation of new cells, strong bones, haemoglobin, to managing the wear-and-tear of body cells and muscle building. This is a very healthy Vegetarian plant based protein.
4. Rich in Folate, Vitamin B9 : One cup of cooked chick peas has 152% of your daily folate requirements. Folate or Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells.
5. Rich in Magnesium : One cup of cooked chick peas has 40% of your daily Magnesium requirements. Magnesium helps in formation of bones and teeth and metabolism of calcium and potassium.
6. Good for Diabetics : As chick peas is high in Magnesium and prevents blood sugar surges, its good for diabetics. The magnesium helps improve insulin response by lowering insulin resistance.
7. Good for Heart : Chick peas is rich in Fibre, both Soluble Fibre and Insoluble Fibre . Soluble fibre may reduce the absorption of cholesterol. Hence lowers total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) therefore reducing the risk of heart disease.
8. Good for Weight Loss : Keeps you lean. As chick peas has lots of soluble fibre which turns sticky when mixed with water, it delay stomach emptying time which hence makes you feel fuller and makes you then eat less. Also the high protein levels in Chick Peas makes you feel fuller.
Glycemic Index of Kabuli Chana, Chick Peas Chick Peas or Kabuli Chana has a Glycemic Index of 33 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Chick Peas have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics as this is low in fat also.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.