Daily Calcium Requirements from Kids to Senior Citizens + Calcium Rich Recipes
Calcium is a necessity for all … right from a newborn to an aged person, as the body’s need for calcium actually increases as one gets older. This is so because bones reach maximum strength and density around age 30, but as we age, our body absorbs calcium from our diet at a lower rate. We need to eat foods high in calcium to make up for this lower absorption and to help maintain the bone strength gained in the former years.
Cream Of Broccoli Soup, Veg Broccoli Soup Recipe
Chart of Daily Calcium Requirements from Kids to Senior Citizens
||Need for Calcium
||Requirements (per day)
||Bones and teeth are at a growing stage and hence their need for calcium is high.
||0-1 year - 500 mg
1-9 years – 400 mg
||Puberty promotes a quick and rapid growth spurt and so the need for calcium increases.
||10-18 years-600 mg
|Puberty to Middle Age
||For maintenance of bones and teeth.
||19-49 years-400 mg
||As we age the bones lose calcium. Elderly women are at utmost risk of osteoporosis due to calcium loss as a result of hormonal changes (decrease in estrogen levels which otherwise initiates calcium absorption) occurring after menopause.
||above 50 years-400 mg
||The growing fetus has high requirements of calcium which need to be supplemented through mums diet.
||A nursing mother has to make up for her and the baby’s requirement through breast milk.
Here is a detailed table for Calcium Rich Foods . The highest calcium is found in Til, Panner and Cheese.
Ragi Roti Stuffed with Paneer
A Few Diet No’s
* Deep-fried foods as they hinder with the absorption of calcium.
* Refined foods like maida, pasta, sugar etc. as they lose calcium in their process of refining.
* Chocolate and cocoa as they are rich in oxalate which hinder with the absorption of calcium.
* Aerated drinks as they contain citric and phosphoric acid which decrease the absorption of calcium.
Masoor Dal and Palak Khichdi
10 Critical pointers to make your Bones Strong
1. Include at least one source of calcium in every meal. Make sure you know your 42 Calcium Rich Foods and what causes Calcium deficiency.
2. Have at least 100 to 125 grams of one leafy vegetable everyday.
3. Consume 2 to 3 glasses of milk in any form (like curds, paneer etc.) to supplement calcium in the diet. Weight watchers can consume their low fat counterparts.
4. Restrict your consumption of fat, as excessive fat hinders with the absorption of calcium in our body.
5. Restrict the consumption of refined foods like maida and ready-to-eat foods like wafers as they are devoid of calcium due to their process of refining.
6. Avoid having caffeine shots. Tea and coffee have been known to hinder with the absorption of calcium and also increase the loss of this mineral by way of urine.
Fresh Herbal Tea, Tulsi, Mint and Ginger Drink
7. Avoid excessive salt in the diet as it leads to excretion of urinary calcium.
8. Stay away from aerated beverages as they are only empty calories and have no other nutrients.
9. Do not overstress yourself as stress decreases the intestine’s capacity to absorb calcium.
10. Have a sunbath every morning, as early morning sunlight is good for the production of vitamin D which in turn helps in the synthesis of calcium in our body.
So get wiser and be stocked up with your calcium stores right from childhood and build strong bones and teeth for lifetime. It's never too late....begin with our calcium boosting recipes shared here TODAY!!
10 Healthy Calcium Recipes
Since childhood, you would hear your parents/adults advising you to drink milk because it’s a rich source of calcium. In fact, curd, paneer and buttermilk also provide with a lot of calcium.
Include accompaniments like Raita and Chaas to your meal and provide your body with the daily calcium requirement .Enhance the flavor of curd raita by combining with the pungency of garlic, earthy flavor of coriander and an array of spice powders. This Burhani Raita is a treat when served chilled.
Burhani Raita, Hyderabadi Masala Curd Raita
Kickstart your morning with this Almond Honey Cinnamon Milk or Blueberry Avocado Vegan Smoothie that are not only easy to make and satiating but also, nutrient-rich and wonderful choice for everybody including kids.
Almond Honey Cinnamon Milk, Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipe
Have some leftover chapati? Toss them in buttermilk and cook to create this sumptuous Spicy Chapati Cooked in Buttermilk a healthy and tasty snack – that you can have for breakfast or any time you are hungry! Similarly, you can toss Hara chana with vegetables and create this chatpata Roadside Hare Chane Ki Chaat
Roadside Hare Chane Ki Chaat, Protein and Calcium Rich
Kadhi is inseparable from Gujarati cuisine. This sweet-spicy curry is made using curd/buttermilk and besan.
The final tempering boosts the flavor greatly. Bhinda Ni Kadhi is an authentic recipe were bhindi is cooked in a kadhi with onions.
Bhinda Ni Kadhi, Gujarati Bhindi Kadhi
Protein-rich rajma combined with colorful, crunchy vegetables dressed in a olive oil dressing - Rajma Vegetable Healthy Lunch Salad is a one-dish meal, which is so tasty that you will not miss your regular food.
Rajma Vegetable Healthy Lunch Salad, One Dish Meal
End your meal with a sweet note relish this Kesar Kulfi Falooda with the goodness of kesar kulfi, dry fruits, rose syrup and falooda sev.
Kesar Kulfi Falooda
These recipes have been specially designed to suit the taste, texture and flavour appeal of people at different stages in life.