42 Calcium Rich Indian Foods
Calcium Rich Indian Foods. Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. The human body consistently remove small amounts of calcium from our bones and that has to be topped up with Calcium rich foods. So you need to top up your calcium levels on a daily basis.
Herbed Paneer Paratha
Sources of Calcium
1. Dairy products: Like milk, curds, cheese, paneer and buttermilk. Amongst these, curd is one of the best probiotic and good for a healthy gut. Have a bowl of curd for to get your daily dose of protein and calcium.
How To Make Paneer Using Cow’s Milk
Can’t have it plain? Try raitas – Mooli and Fresh Fruit Raita and Lauki ka Raita. Have them as a part of your meal or in between meals as a healthy and satiating snack.
Lauki ka Raita, Protein Rich Recipe
2. Green leafy vegetables: Greens like spinach, amaranth. colocasia, fenugreek etc. and other vegetables like broccoli top the list of calcium rich vegetables.
While most people don’t find the idea of including veggies in their diet very interesting, we have found different ways of adding them. Sneakily add them by way of Spinach Dosa.
3. Whole cereals specially ragi: This is also known as nachni. While the most commonly it is used t make Nachni bhakri in the west region of India, you can be present it a bit more creatively too.
We suggest Ragi and Coriander Uttapa. One mini uttapa fulfils 5% of your day’s calcium requirement. Remember to not use too much oil for cooking as excess fat hinders calcium absorption.
Ragi and Coriander Uttapa
4. Sprouts: Pulses like moong, moath beans, chana, matki, kulith, masoor can be sprouted. Sprouted pulses are a better source of calcium as sprouting increases the calcium content. The process of sprouting also makes them easy to digest too.
Mixed Sprouts Chaat is sure to tempt you and make up for all your requirements at snack time. Sprouts and fruits contains vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps to fight the free radicals that otherwise attack healthy cells and lead to complications. They being high in fibre helps to manage blood glucose levels.
Mixed Sprouts Chaat, Evening Indian Snack
5. Nuts and oilseeds: Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, sesame seeds (til), chia seeds, flax seeds etc. are very good sources of calcium. A handful of nuts or some seeds are a must in each person’s diet. Munch on the walnuts and almonds and include the seeds by way of Pineapple Chia Seeds and Pear Juice. The vitamin C from pineapple will further aid in calcium absorption.
Pineapple Chia Seeds and Pear Juice
Another calcium brimming recipe is Lettuce and Paneer Salad with Sesame Dressing. Simple to make and easy to carry tow work too. Gain in 127 mg of calcium per serving of this nourishing salad bowl.
Lettuce and Paneer Salad in Sesame Dressing
6. Broccoli: Other veggies like broccoli are also a fair source of calcium. Soup lovers would love to experiment it in the form of Broccoli Soup. It is sure to bring some of the excitement to a boring meal.
Broccoli Soup ( Calcium Rich)
Find out your RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance for Calcium) Daily Calcium Requirements from kids to Adults to Senior citizens. For Adult men its 1,000 mg per day.
44 Calcium Rich Indian Food List
|Til (Sesame seeds)
|Whole milk paneer, shredded
||Gavarfali (Cluster beans), chopped
||Kharek (Dry dates), chopped
||Gur (Jaggery), chopped
|Buffalo’s milk curds (Yoghurt)
||Arhar (Toovar) dal
||Moong dal (Split yellow gram), cooked
|Rajma (Kidney beans), soaked and cooked
||Moong dal flour (Green gram dal flour)
|Nachni flour (Ragi flour)
||Methi (Fenugreek leaves), chopped
|Kabuli chana (Chick peas), cooked
|Chawli leaves (Cowpea)
|Chawli leaves chopped
||Masoor dal (Split red lentils), cooked
||Arvi ke patte (Colocasia leaves), chopped
|Cow’s milk curds (Yoghurt)
||Whole masoor (Red lentils), cooked
||Chana dal (Split Bengal gram), cooked
|Skim milk curds (Yoghurt)
||Mooli ke patte (Radish leaves), chopped
|Urad dal (split black lentils), cooked
|Kopra (Dry coconut), grated
||Gehun ka atta (Whole wheat flour)
|Skim milk paneer, shredded
||Palak (Spinach), chopped
|Moong (Green gram), sprouted and cooked
||Fansi (French beans), chopped
|Skim milk paneer, cubes
||Besan (Bengal gram flour)
||Dhania (Coriander leaves), chopped
|Cauliflower leaves, chopped(Cow peas), soaked and cooked
||Shepu (Dill), chopped
Masoor Dal and Palak Khichdi
Calcium Recipes using Calcium Rich Foods
Paneer is a versatile ingredient. It can be cooked in every possible way - marinated, fried, sautéed, crumbled, and so on, to make delicious dishes that span across every course of the meal.The combination of palak and paneer is a match made in heaven! Be it subzi or an open toast sandwich, they complement each other so well, turning everything into a delight.
Make calcium rich Full fat paneer at home and toss it into the palak gravy to prepare this classic Palak Paneer. This rich gravy tastes amazing with piping hot butter smeared paratha.
Restaurant Style Palak Paneer, Healthy Palak Paneer
Authentic Punjabi food like Rajma, Pindi Chole and Spicy Chole are Calcium Rich Sabzis . They taste best when served with chawaal , puri, a glass of malai loaded lassi and pickled onion. Also, every Indian household makes their Calcium Rich Curd at home that can be turned into a variety of Raita or simply made into chaas or an accompaniment to Calcium Rich breakfast like the Paneer Paratha.
Pindi Chole, Punjabi Pindi Chana Recipe
Switch to healthy Calcium Rich Rotis like Nachni and Onion Roti made with ragi flour, the addition of onion adds a bite to it. Also, you can make Calclium Rich Snacks like Homemade Almond Butter which is not only calcium rich but also, has good fat, no added sugar and vegetable oils. Made and tasted once, you will never buy Almond Butter from the market again as they have vegetable oils and artificial sweeteners added to it.
Nachni and Onion Roti
Ragi Roti Stuffed with Paneer made with the goodness of two calcium rich ingredients, Ragi and Paneer is an easy to make healthy roll. If you are lazy to make the paneer stuffing then you can substitute it with any paneer subzi or stir-fried vegetables and create something magical!
Ragi Roti Stuffed with Paneer
Enjoy these Healthy Calcium Rich Recipes and share with us your feedback. Happy cooking!